Saturday, October 3, 2009

Head(stone) Scratcher of the Month


As an amature genealogist, Ive grown accustom to seeing dating mistakes on head/footstones which are not always as avoidable as one thinks; sometimes a birth date or full name is unknown for whatever reason. This one in particular at Salem Cemetery in Madison KY caught my eye- likely due to the way it was photographed.

It actually took me a minute to notice what is going on here. Thank goodness nowadays descendants on a gen quest have free lookups at their disposal as well as helpful cemetery staff- otherwise, this reversal could be quite the hindrance... I decided it was only right for me to do a quick look up on G. Parsons (being that I have an ancestry.com account), who I assume is male being that there is a mason engraving on the tombstone. Unfortunately I found no Parsons whatsoever born or died on these dates (in their proper order). I did not even find a G. Parsons in Kentucky. Too bad- I have a feeling this guy led an interesting life (and there may be others in the plot being that the bottom of the stone says "Parsons").


No comments: